With my finger only mildly annoying now, I went back into Maya to help out the Oinkfrog. I havent managed to tackle as many things over the last few days as I wanted – but things are still better. The skin weighting is now much much better, though I still need blend shapes to keep the deformations under control in places like elbows and fingers.
I have fixed up my IKs a little better now and they are working nicely. Mirroring things like weights is mighty handy. It is tricky to get the nesting of the various components and their type working as would be intuitive to an animator, but I now have most bits happy.

With the rig in a sane state here is where he is at and a simple pose using the various handles: