With the model for Oinkfrog in a pretty complete form, it was time to take him off to UV space. I had only UV’d simple things before, so this was going to be a challenge. I had a few false starts as I experimented with unwrapping him in larger pieces, I think this could work, but I don’t know the tools well enough yet to pull it off. So I set about UVing him in lots of smaller pieces, with each projection was better related to the specific part.In the UV editor I pulled and prodded UVs about, expanding, joining and neatening. This took me waaaay longer than it should have no doubt, but in the end he is pretty neat. Along the way I noticed little modelling oddities that needed tidying up, some due to the mirroring and then joining up, others just strange internal faces. Here are some shots of the progress being made:
Next step was to dive quickly into photoshop to generate some of the texture. At this stage I was happy to create some tonal change around his folds of skin and add some fun dots and spots af various shapes and sizes. It was nice to see him looking fleshy finally, though the test renders dont quite show off his spots enough yet – that will come.–Oh, I couldnt help but put a reference to this awesome ‘ball of skin’ by Eric Keller while I am here.
[Ball of skin pic by Eric Keller via his blog]